Re: [glob2-devel] coding guidlines

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] coding guidlines
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 01:48:39 +0200

Bradley Arsenault wrote:
> I disagree with these hard coded guidelines. I feel that it should be up
> to the programmers discretion what kind of organization they do. It

for some reasons this "it's up to the programmer" lead to a
- very flat folder structure with
- tons of files in each folder with
- barely any relation between most of the files in a folder
- some folders that split src and lib others that don't
- files defining about 50 classes
- files with 6000 lines of code

how about we put all in one file? nowerdays pc's wouldn't complain and
then everything is in one place and we can navigate in the code much faster!!1

> should be a requirement that code be documented, but not all code needs
> to be documented the same way, and requiring that every attribute be
> documented will only waste time in the end.

I've proposed that requirement as the fact if documentation is needed or not
lies in the eyes of the one dealing with the code. Of cource the one having
written it considers it to be much clearer than the one trying to dig into it.
So requiring a documentation for at least every public member will make it
more likely others will understand the code.

> There are times when there
> needs to be multiple classes per file. AIEcho is a decent example,

Pardon? Where is the need to not split it up? You sometimes complain about long
compile times. If you had split up your code a bit, the compiler would spend
less time compiling code you've never touched.

> IRCThreadMessage or NetMessage is a much better example of when it would
> be very wrong to separate these classes into different files.

Why exactly would it be wrong? I do java most of my time at work and am not
used to put more than one class into a file. maybe there is a good reason to
do so in c++ i don't know of.

> It would
> be wasteful, time consuming, and only serves to make things more
> confusing for other programmers.

why more confusing? i didn't suggest to make structures flatter. i suggested to
deepen structures by having things separated in folders and subfolders.

i want to discuss all this so i know what i may do to other people's code
without
loosing a developer.

greetings,

leo wandersleb