Re: [glob2-devel] GSOC

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] GSOC
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 08:53:10 +0100

Hi Leo,

> As a representative of glob2, you would be the best choice. Google will
> not require your attention very often so you would not be drawn back in
> your PhD work. At the same time you are very competent, responsive and
> trustworthy.
>
> Both Bradley and me are willing to mentor one student each I guess. I
> have doubts Bradley to be a good mentor as he in times is very active
> and in other times hard to reach at all. Also his dedication to his own
> new game makes me doubt on him and I would like to hear some words from
> him to make those concerns go away ahead of him being an official mentor.

It is true that we do not need a legal structure to apply, so this is ok.
However, we still need to provide a fair amount of time on a regular basis to
support the student. The GSOC F.A.Q. tells us :
- " How much time is required to participate as a mentor in Google Summer of
Code?"
-"[...]. Five hours per student per week is a reasonable estimate."
This estimation seems reasonable to me.

Unfortunately I cannot provide this time. I can help with the GSOC
application, even by writing the application itself; and I can help with
specific questions. However, I cannot take 5 hours per week to support the
student. If you can, then I'll be glad to provide advises and support as
often as possible, and to help you with the application. In that case, [1] is
probably a good thing to read in addition to the main page and the FAQ.

Have a nice day,

Steph

[1]     http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/wiki/AdviceforMentors