gnewsense-art

Re: [gNewSense-art] grub theme needed

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-art] grub theme needed
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 02:12:44 +0100

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 06:43:25PM -0500, Luis Felipe López Acevedo wrote:
> El jue, 26-11-2009 a las 22:07 +0100, Robert Millan escribió:
> > On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 01:21:18PM -0500, Luis Felipe López Acevedo wrote:
> > >
> > > For GRUB in install CD
> > >
> > > http://introsmedia.tuxfamily.org/gns/grub-install-example.png
> > > http://introsmedia.tuxfamily.org/gns/grub-install.png
> >
> > This is not the layout used by GRUB.  You *could* make GRUB do this using
> > the new theme framework [1], and I would really appreciate if you made a
> > nice theme using that resource, but I would prefer something that works with
> > current GRUB first.
> >
> > [1] the one we discussed previously (http://grub.gibibit.com/)
> >

> I'm confused :)
>
> Are we talking about GRUB 2 or GRUB legacy?

About GRUB 2.  GRUB Legacy is obsolete software.

> Is the layout for GRUB in installed system the same as in GRUB install
> CD?

Yes.

> I need a reference to make sure that the background elements don't
> affect the foreground in a bad way.
>
> Is this page relevant for what we need?:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Grub/SplashImage

Somewhat, but it contains too much outdated information.  I wouldn't use it.

Elemts have the same placement as in

  http://www.klabs.be/~fpiat/linux/boot/grub/grub-v2-640x480_overlay.svg

but you can choose the background/foreground of:

  - normal text (including borders)

  - highlight text

among a selection of 16 colors:

black
blue
green
cyan
red
magenta
brown
light-gray
dark-gray
light-blue
light-green
light-cyan
light-red
light-magenta
yellow
white

this 16-color limit only applies to the text.  Background image can be 24-bit.

--
Robert Millan