gnewsense-art

Re: [gNewSense-art] grub theme needed

From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-art] grub theme needed
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 08:54:55 -0500

El jue, 26-11-2009 a las 13:10 +0100, Robert Millan escribió:

> There are 4 colors taking effect, two for "normal" font and two for
> "highlight" (i.e. selected menu option) font.
>
> In normal font, background is usually transparent.  With your splash image
> I assume foreground would be white, but this does apply to the window borders
> too (in your example they're black).  Would that be a problem?

That's ok. The border could be white too.

> In highlight font, I think you used white as foreground but I'm not sure what
> color did you use as background (dark-gray?).  Keep in mind you can't use any
> color, for now you can only choose from the 16 color palette.  But if it's
> important, I can improve the code that has this limitation.

Foreground is always white (normal and highlight). The background for
highlighted options in the example image is black with 50% of opacity.
If we can't use transparency, black is ok.

> Btw, there are two places for GRUB theme: installed system and install CD,
> should we use the same on both?

If GRUB is what I see in the following image, I think we should use a
slightly different theme for install CD; the same background image with
"gNewSense GNU/Linux" added somewhere, so that people know what they are
about to install.

http://blogs.koolwal.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/lenny_install_splash.png

In general, I'd prefer not to have a different background everywhere,
I'd like the screens to be as uniform as possible.