gnewsense-art

Re: [gNewSense-art] grub theme needed

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-art] grub theme needed
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 03:28:01 +0100

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 01:59:10AM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 09:03:15AM -0500, Luis Felipe López Acevedo wrote:
> > >
> > > This time they need a theme for grub.
> > >
> > > You should find on this website all the information:
> > >

> > > http://grub.gibibit.com/
> > >

> > > If you need more info, feel free to ask.
> > >

> > I'll read the docs.
>
> There's a package with example themes, it might be useful to use as
> reference:
>
>   http://grub.gibibit.com/files/overlay_2009-07-19.tar.gz
>
> Be careful though, it includes many non-free fonts/images, which we can't
> use.  For now the only font that is available is fixed-size Unifont, it is
> provided with the GRUB packages.  Images need to be made from scratch but
> I assume this is no problem to a skilled artist like you :-)
>
> As for a version of GRUB that supports this theme interface, we're working
> on that.  It'll soon be available for the i386/amd64 version of gNewSense
> metad.

Perhaps it'd be better if we add a simple background (like Debian currently
has) for now.  New theme support is a lot of work (both artist work and
technical work), and it could delay the metad release if we wait for it :-/

A GRUB background is rather simple: just a 24-bit 640x480 PNG and a choice of
foreground/background font color (16-color palette).  The only caveat is it
has to look well when overlaying GRUB's menu on top.  See for example:

  http://oskuro.net/blogpics/grub2-pretty-menu.png

--
Robert Millan