gnewsense-art

Re: [gNewSense-art] grub theme needed

From: aurele
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-art] grub theme needed
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 01:32:52 -0500

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 22:27 -0500, Luis Felipe López Acevedo wrote:
> El jue, 26-11-2009 a las 03:28 +0100, Robert Millan escribió:

> > > There's a package with example themes, it might be useful to use as
> > > reference:
> > >
> > >   http://grub.gibibit.com/files/overlay_2009-07-19.tar.gz
> > >
> > > Be careful though, it includes many non-free fonts/images, which we can't
> > > use.  For now the only font that is available is fixed-size Unifont, it is
> > > provided with the GRUB packages.  Images need to be made from scratch but
> > > I assume this is no problem to a skilled artist like you :-)
> > >
> > > As for a version of GRUB that supports this theme interface, we're working
> > > on that.  It'll soon be available for the i386/amd64 version of gNewSense
> > > metad.
> >
> > Perhaps it'd be better if we add a simple background (like Debian currently
> > has) for now.  New theme support is a lot of work (both artist work and
> > technical work), and it could delay the metad release if we wait for it :-/
> >
> > A GRUB background is rather simple: just a 24-bit 640x480 PNG and a choice
> > of
> > foreground/background font color (16-color palette).  The only caveat is it
> > has to look well when overlaying GRUB's menu on top.  See for example:
> >
> >   http://oskuro.net/blogpics/grub2-pretty-menu.png
> >

> An example:
>
> http://introsmedia.tuxfamily.org/gns/grub-example.png
>
> And the background image:
>
> http://introsmedia.tuxfamily.org/gns/grub-image.png
>
> Robert, I don't get the "a choice of foreground/background font color".
> For the background above, the font should be white; and in case the
> image is not loaded, the background should be "#063043" (a dark blue).
>
> Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Hi all,

This grub theme loader is really more beautifull than before.

For sure it's just a suggestion but why not use some earth photos at
this place or other place in the theme of gNS.

Thanks for all of what you do and for the gNS theme I really like.

-- aurele

"Comment une Société sans morale, ni éthique, peu se prévaloir de
vouloir les enseigner ?"