gnewsense-art

Re: [gNewSense-art] Re-Licensing Artwork.

From: r. siddharth
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-art] Re-Licensing Artwork.
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 16:54:32 +0530

On Thursday 25 October 2012 03:28 PM, Sam Geeraerts wrote:

I gave it some more thought and considered the FSF's statement [1]
again. I suggest to change the notice at the bottom of the page as follows:

... Unless [[WebsiteLicenseInfo|stated otherwise]], the content in this
website ...

The page Website LicenseInfo then says this:

<page>
The content in this Web site can be used as follows:
  * All documentation is available under the terms of the [92]GFDL with
no invariant sections. ([93]note on the license)
  * Artwork is Free Cultural Work and is available under the terms of
the [94]cc-by-sa license.

When material on the same page complements each other, the end result is
considered to be a derivative work. So when an image serves to clarify
the text, the image is implicitly licensed under GFDL. Screenshots are
considered to fall under fair use, so the images and components they
show don't have to be GFDL licensed.

When an image merely illustrates a text and is not a functional part of
the article, then the article as a whole is only considered to be
derived from the text, not the image, and the image doesn't have to fall
under GFDL. So on a page that lists artwork or on a homepage that has
the person's picture, the images don't have to fall under GFDL.

== Works with a non-default license ==
  * [[link|gNewSense logo]]
</page>

I think that would settle the issue and that no further (license)
changes would have to be made.

[1] http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/2007-05-08-fdl-scope

The solution we have arrived at actually doesn't require to intimate artwork contributors about the issue, am I right in my understanding?

Should I create the /WebsiteLicenseInfo page right away or should I wait until the footer is modified?

Thanks.
--
rsiddharth
http://rsiddharth.ninth.su/