Re: Problems with newest smsd

From: Markus Plail
Subject: Re: Problems with newest smsd
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 16:48:27 +0200

Hi Jan!

* Jan Derfinak writes:
> On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Markus Plail wrote:
>> * Jan Derfinak writes:
>>> Ok. Please tell me why I must do the same initialization every
>>> iteration.
>>
>> Because it works? As I have written it's not obvious.

> But this is dirty. You made only workaround. You don't eliminate
> problem. It is dirty when you unexpected modify variable which should
> not be modified in logical sight. You must use other flag for it. And
> it is very uneffective when I must in loop do the same initialization
> every iteration. I want to draft that API functions must not change
> parts which are not pertinent to action which they are doing. If not
> this will route into untransparent API. If you look into definition of
> GetSMS you will see that there is no word about clearing of SMSFolder
> or SMSFolderList. I think moving constant initialization before loop
> is right thing and GetSMS is writen unclear and should be fixed (don't
> be angry Pawel, I say only what learnt during my work as
> programmer). If it is impossible, it must be noted somewhere in
> visible place because it is very unexpected behaviour.

I know it is dirty (well not anymore actually, will be fixed in CVS real
soon :-). I didn't say it was good. I just felt that you think I did
that (init at every iteration) for fun. I know that it is not OK that
one has to do that.
So what I was really critizising was the fact that you changed the code
without testing it or asking me why I did it this way.
Anyways, as I just said it will be fixed in CVS soon.

regards
Markus