[Gnu-arch-users] the dangers of no reply-to munging; Xouvert update

From: Jonathan Walther
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] the dangers of no reply-to munging; Xouvert update
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 02:03:58 -0700

Someone just sent me a private mail telling me that even when I am using
tagline, I can do an explicit "tla add" to add in files that aren't text
files.  This is the kind of helpful reply that should be archived for
future questioners, and with Reply-To: set up properly, the message
would have gone to the list as intended.

Official standards are all very nice, but when they conflict with de
facto standards and users expectations, they need to be taken with a
grain of salt.

Now, when I do an explicit tag of a file while using tagline, how do I
tell arch "this is a binary file, not a text file"?  How exactly does
arch handle binary files differently from text files?

Besides PNG files, I have found some .gz and .Z files in the X sources.

Also, the rstart program has some files named @List and @Aliases.  Do
these names conflict with anything crucial in the Arch naming scheme?
How do I tell arch that they are legitimate source text files?

Manpages are text pages; does anyone know the roff language well enough
to tell me how to put an arch tagline in a manpage?

Jonathan

--

It's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

                    Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   address@hidden
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2