Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Patch : precomimt hook

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Patch : precomimt hook
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 08:58:09 +0200

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 22:04:14 +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> Cute. I haven't looked at the code in detail yet - does it check before
> or after the changeset is generated?
>
> After generation would make sense to me because:
> * Code reformatting (astyle/indent) on commit needs the list of files
> that have been altered to reindent.

I find the term "changeset is generated" a bit confusing for this. So to
be clear, it has to be called BEFORE actual diffing takes place (so it
has a chance to touch the files) and it might be reasonable to call it
after list of changes is computed.

It's not however always reasonable. What if the hook wanted to change
some file besides those already changed (eg. some kind of changelog).

> * regression test overhead can be avoided if tree-linting fails - that
> is if tla wouldn't allow the commit anyway.

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>