Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Patch : precomimt hook

From: Mark A. Flacy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Patch : precomimt hook
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 05:38:25 -0500

>>>>> "Ethan" == Ethan Benson <address@hidden> writes:
Ethan>
Ethan> i mean that he should implement a generic pre-hook.  one where command
Ethan> line args, environment variables etc are provided, and the user
Ethan> writing the hook would implement a pre-commit by adding a case for
Ethan> $1 == commit.

I take this to mean that you'd prefer not only an ~/.arch-params/hook file
but an ~/.arch-params/pre-hook[1] file.  If you are going to go that route,
then perhaps ~/.arch-params/hook should be split into
~/.arch-params/pre-hook and ~/.arch-params/post-hook.

I'm not crazy about such a split, but can see some arguments in favor of it.

Ethan> the current hook system allows hooks for more then just the commit
Ethan> command, the proposed patch is a specific hack only for commit.

The proposed patch requires you to add a $1 == precommit line in your
~/.arch-params/hook file.  That's scarcely onerous, obscure, or remarkably
different from the other hooks.

Footnotes:
[1]  Or some other name.

--
 Mark A. Flacy
 Any opinions expressed above are my own.  Any facts expressed above