[Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla get --hard-links available

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla get --hard-links available
Date: 03 Oct 2003 19:10:27 +0900

Karel Gardas <address@hidden> writes:
> I'm sorry for asking silly question, but before going into deep-details
> with hard links hacking, have you done any performance test? i.e. as an
> Arch user I'm quite worried with this direction of development...

Note that many people (including me) already use this style of
development with no problems, not with arch, but by maintaining many
hard-linked source trees (made with e.g. `cp -al') and relying on
programs breaking hard-links to COW modified files.  It works fine as
long as you have the right habits (I only use two things to modify
source files: emacs and patch [+ occasionally mv/rm]).

It should obviously not be the default because many people don't have
these habits -- but many people do.

It does make the permission-twiddling features of arch not very useful,
but for many source trees, those are pretty unimportant.

-miles
--
`Cars give people wonderful freedom and increase their opportunities.
 But they also destroy the environment, to an extent so drastic that