Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla get --hard-links available

From: Zack Brown
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla get --hard-links available
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 06:53:23 -0700

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 06:03:44PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Paul Hedderly wrote:
> > At least could get -l create a
> >   ++WARNING-HARD-LINKS-AT-WORK-HERE-SO-EDIT-AT-YOUR-PEERRRRRRILLLLL!!!!
>
> Yeesh, people are so wimpy.
>
> Maybe a ~/.arch-params/=training-wheels option...
>
> [Anyway, I want someway to make --link the _default_ (for me).]

Why not have -l be a setting in the archive, rather than a 'get' option?
If you set a branch to use hard links, then all gets of that branch will use
them; and the file permissions will be set to read-only (with the original
permissions recorded in {arch} or wherever, as metadata.

This has the drawback of forcing all users of a branch to rely on the
hard link method, but it also makes it easier for them to catch
themselves inadvertantly corrupting the archive.

Be well,
Zack