Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla get --hard-links available

From: Pau Aliagas
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla get --hard-links available
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 11:35:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Karel Gardas wrote:

> Pau,
>
> I'm sorry for asking silly question, but before going into deep-details
> with hard links hacking, have you done any performance test? i.e. as an
> Arch user I'm quite worried with this direction of development...

The performance boost is huge for get for obvious reasons, but apart from
`time tla get' being orders of magnitude faster, I have not performed any
tests.

> IIRC single:
>
> unset LD_PRELOAD
> $EDITOR <file>
>
> is able to corrupt my revision library w/o any way to recover from
> corruption.

Corrupting a revision library would not be a problem if it was detected
before it could be used (that's why I talk about adding validating code,
as suggested by Tom). If you made a mistake, you'd be warned before
propagating it :)

> Thanks for understanding -- MICO project uses Arch for more than one year
> now, :-)

Of course I would not advocate to make it the default option, but it's a
must for people working on tenths of branches tagged from the same branch.
If you only have a few working directories, the savings are too small to
even take the risk.

Pau