[Gnu-arch-users] Re: designing how to kill pristine trees

From: Tom Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: designing how to kill pristine trees
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 11:11:37 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Pau Aliagas <address@hidden>

Thanks for that.

    > * my opinion

    >   My opinion is that we should eliminate pristine trees and move to
    >   revision libraries excusively.

    >   If we need temporary libraries and long-lasting libraries we could
    >   consider adding multiple paths for them, to classify them by its a
    >   priori endurance, but I think this would be over-engineering as it can
    >   be done now just removing them.

I think that the idea of a revlib path, rather than a single revlib,
is inevitable.    That's a pretty lightweight change and interacts
nicely with boilerplate hook scripts that manage these things.

You left out the recent idea of keeping pristines as .tar.gz under
{arch}.   I think that such a mechanism is a great enabler for "one of
my revlibs as pristine-tree-killing cache."

On a commit, this should work out to something like "update the
relevent revlib then tar zcvf it into {arch}."