[Gnu-arch-users] Re: designing how to kill pristine trees

From: Tom Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: designing how to kill pristine trees
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 12:03:44 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Pau Aliagas <address@hidden>

    >> {arch}.   I think that such a mechanism is a great enabler for "one of
    >> my revlibs as pristine-tree-killing cache."

    >> On a commit, this should work out to something like "update the
    >> relevent revlib then tar zcvf it into {arch}."

    > My concern is performance: revision libraries are optimal and the only
    > drawback can be addressed with mutliple paths and a hook script.

    > Slowing down gets, commits and diffs just to keep a tar.gz (or the current
    > pristine trees) sounds unnecessary and worse than revlibs. Why complicate
    > the code and slow down everything when we already have the perfect
    > mecahanism?

The "lifetime management" problem -- i.e., "when to discard and
reclaim space" -- is insoluable absent a copy in {arch}.   tar is
pretty fast.

It would also be reasonable to make an option to skip that step for
users who have terabyte disks and who would therefore reasonably
prefer revlibs that grow "forever".