Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: taglines vs explicit

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: taglines vs explicit
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 12:25:10 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Davide Libenzi <address@hidden>

    > The case of lkml/Linus is just an example. Being the most complex open
    > source project out there,

I rather doubt that.   It's up there, sure.

    > if you're able to have a working solution that
    > will fit that, the rest comes pretty easy. The number of merged patches
    > and the number of contributors makes it the most complex project, not just
    > my immagination.

You should look at other factors as well, such as quality control
practices on the mainline.

You should also look at entire pipelines.   There's a heck of a lot
going on between Linus and deployment for many (most?) users.   Arch
is relevant all down the line.

Honestly, I sometimes wonder if "what Linus does" isn't quite ripe for
replacement with automation and voting.   Then Linus, the human, could
entirely focus on editorializing and working on those hacks that fit
his spirit.

    > The whole thing is pretty simple after all, if a solution
    > makes life better for a maintainer, that's a success. The thing works even
    > for Linus/Andrew/whoever. Even if the solution makes you work in a
    > different way.

There's a lot of feedback to and from issues of politics, power, and
engineering practices.   Arch, to a certain extent, changes the
_meaning_ of what it means to be a maintainer.   Stephen has made some
lovely observations in this regard concerning cscvs, for example.