Re: [Gnu-arch-users] expert needed: arch doesn't support multi-committer

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] expert needed: arch doesn't support multi-committer archives!
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 16:06:23 +0900

    Tom> a) James' solution generalizes to cover your
    Tom> "single-committer, group of readers" scenario perfectly well.
    Tom> I suspect it generalizes to solve your other scenarios as
    Tom> well.  (e.g., You don't need to have just one account per
    Tom> archive -- you might have several -- the key thing is that
    Tom> however many you have, the purpose of those accounts is
    Tom> specific to the archive and the access rights of the accounts
    Tom> and access of users to those accounts can be managed
    Tom> accordingly.)

It may also be possible to provide differing permissions based on a
single account, although the methods I know of require cooperation
from the server (in particular, with a patched CVS the CVS user can be
taken from an environment variable settable from .ssh/authorized_keys,
and then permissions checked before commits and reads by a hook
script).

Therefore, they are probably not appropriate for arch (this would mean
hacking up an alternative sftp subsystem, a priori a very risky idea),
but I thought I'd mention them.