Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Planned move to Arch (cygwin issue) ...

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Planned move to Arch (cygwin issue) ...
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 15:57:15 +0900

    Miles> "Karl Waclawek" <address@hidden> writes:

    >> I am sort of shying away from tla right now because whenever I
    >> start to like some OpenSource stuff, I want to use it on
    >> Windows too - but there are always problems.

    Miles> What's your point though?  If everyone runs screaming from
    Miles> problems, then, well, nothing will get done.  Even bitching
    Miles> on the mailing list is probably better than doing nothing
    Miles> (up to a point!), since it at least makes it easier to see
    Miles> where common problems are.

Well, apparently right now is a bad time to be working on Cygwin or
Windows XP stuff.  Maybe it's just an excuse, but all the Windows-
capable people in XEmacs are saying "I won't touch either of those
with a ten-foot pole until the instability settles out"; those with
the choice are using Windows 2000 and 6-months-old Cygwin (or native
builds of XEmacs).

I can confirm that we get lots of reports of things that used to work
that break when the user updates to either Windows XP or recent
Cygwin.  So pretty clearly there are intra-Windows compatibility
issues unless you're willing to say "we support only what our
developers use themselves".