Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus

From: Ollivier Robert
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 21:51:00 +0200

According to Zack Brown:
> Could you go into more detail about that? What would be so different
> about a change from CVS to arch? My impression is that everything would

The way CVS (and many centralised systems) operates makes it very to do
changes in the main repository ensuring that you have a master that is the
reference line. All developers have access to the machine and can commit to
it. Arch way is completely different. If we want a reference archive, we
need to setup something where all committers can merge from their own
archives into that one or something close to that.

I may be too influenced by CVS though :)

> be the same, except that folks could make use of arch's additional
> features. i.e. couldn't development continue in the same way it does
> now, but with the addition of groups of developers working on their own
> branches in private, before submitting changes to the core team?

Arch would be very nice to have to work on separate branches for side
projects, release engineering and all.

> Please post when you set up the FreeBSD arch repo. That will be a great
> benchmark for tla.

The FreeBSD CVS repository maps almost naturally to configs as it was split
a few months ago into four. The size of two of them (/usr/src and
/usr/ports, resp. 71000+ and 175000+ files) will be a problem though.

The whole repository represents something like 275000 files and close to
approx. 100000 changesets, maybe more. It dates from 1994 with the
4.4BSD-lite2 import. It is now close to 2.0 GB.

1072    CVSROOT                         \
4058    CVSROOT-doc         | CVS metadata
13382   CVSROOT-ports       |
2342    CVSROOT-projects    |
22070   CVSROOT-src         /
700     distrib
154814  doc
588800  ports      175000+ files
6620    projects
12      root                            | links to form a single repo from all
others
1194838 src                     71000+ files
66628   www

Having a config per repository is probably easy to do but that would
prevent further breaking down into configs (like bin, usrbin, libexec, and
so on).

PS: please don't quote signatures, especially when it includes the 8-lines
footer from the list server :)
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- address@hidden
Darwin snuadh.freenix.org Kernel Version 6.8: Wed Sep 10 15:20:55 PDT 2003