Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 21:10:25 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Colin Walters <address@hidden>

    > On Sun, 2003-10-12 at 23:32, Tom Lord wrote:

    > > Patient: it hurts when I do [demonstrating by bending over backwards
    > > to touch the backs of his knees] this

    > > Doctor: then don't do that

    > don't...share archives in a local filesystem?  That's a pretty major
    > restriction,

Don't be silly.

You have huge amounts of degrees of freedom here.  For example, there
is nothing that says you can't restrict access to a local filesystem
archive to an sftp (or any other) transport.  There's no good reason
not to if it makes other things (like fine-grained access protection)
easier.

    > > It is an f'ed up notion that when the OS and environment provides
    > > perfectly sufficient access controls that apps should do anything
    > > more.

    > But the OS and environment don't provide perfectly sufficient access
    > controls, as Ethan, I, and others have shown.

Not that I've seen.