Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 01:49:01 -0400

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 01:23, Tom Lord wrote:

> You're f'n right I've been around.   I cut my professional teeth as a
> winy little junior member of one of the IT teams that built one of the
> first serious 10K user campus networks and grew from there.

Ok.

>  You
> seriously, seriously do not impress me with that kind of rhetoric and
> I disrespect the attempt.

I'm seriously not trying to impress you.  I'm trying to show you some
issues that many sites will have with the way you suggest to support
multiple writers to an archive.

> Perhaps you are mistaking correlation with causation.   You seem to be
> conflating two issues:
>
>       a) what it takes to make arch good
>         b) what it takes to have standing with OSU admins

Ummm...I don't see how I even brought up b) at all.  I was using the OSU
admins as what I believe to be a representative sample of various large
Unix-based school administrators, and system administrators in general.

>     > All that we need to do, minimally, is implement the permissions-copying
>     > thing,
>
> And to do so is horrible, horrible design for many reasons that you
> _should_ (judging by you level of competence evidenced elsewhere) be
> able to figure out.

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I'm afraid you will have to
explicitly enumerate these reasons.

> [...] you're pointing,
> at most, to an Ohio State bug that you're struggling to work around in
> a way that you ought to admit, in all honesty, is crappy engineering.

I simply do not agree with this.  What crappy engineering?

> Do you have a work-study grant?   Are you working for some branch of
> the organization at Ohio State whose policies are in play here?
> That'd be a decent place to start.

I'm not working in a system administrative capacity for OSU, no.