Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus

From: Jonathan Walther
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:17:10 -0700

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 02:41:03PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
And *this* is our disagreement.  I don't see copying permissions to be
"compromising the engineering of arch".  Sorry.  In fact, quite the
opposite - I think requiring people to use ssh for multiple committers
is compromising the filesystem-independence of arch, which is certainly
a large component of its engineering.

Agreed, but as a temporary solution, it looks like it will help get the
Xouvert project out the door, and I'm glad it's available at all.

In any event: at your site, the ssh wrapper proposed above should
solve the umask problem -- without any extra accounts, ssh subsystem
hacking, or anything.

It might, yes.  But we can put a little more intelligence into arch and
not force everyone to hack up ssh subsystem scripts for all time.

I would be happy if someone would show me what to put in this wrapper
script, and where to install it, and how to tell arch to invoke it at
the appropriate times.

Anyways, this discussion is getting repetitive and boring.  Honestly, I
don't care much about it.  I'd rather push my patch queue manager as a
solution to this problem :)

We're waiting for it... your description of it on IRC made me salivate.

Jonathan

--

It's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

                    Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   address@hidden
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org