Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 00:31:35 -0400

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 00:16, Tom Lord wrote:

> The admin policies on savannah are an apparent problem at the moment.
>
> I believe there is a high probability that I can help fix those admin
> policies, if you'll give me a chance.

You can ask, but even if they do it I suspect they will be very unhappy.
And that's just one site.  Have you ever administered a large Unix site
(say over 3000 users), Tom?
I haven't personally, but I have known and worked with people who do
(here at the Ohio State University), and I am quite positive that they
would just laugh in my face if I told them that this new revision
control system I wanted them to use would require the users to have new
accounts for each project.  My school has a lot of custom scripts for
managing accounts, figuring out who has access to what and when, etc.,
and it's still a huge pain.
They would probably have much the same response to hacking up ssh
subsystem scripts and whatnot.

All that we need to do, minimally, is implement the permissions-copying
thing, much like CVS does it.  If we do that it will handle all the
cases that CVS currently handles, which is quite a large portion, and
probably in the long run sufficient.

Past that, we'll just tell people to use a patch queue manager.