Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Retrieving per-file data from csets/revs

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Retrieving per-file data from csets/revs
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 09:39:18 -0800 (PST)

    > From: David Allouche <address@hidden>

    > > You have a 10M changeset in a remote archive accessible via
    > > an 33.6kbaud modem.

    > > And you want to see what was changed in one specific file, without
    > > downloading the whole monster-delta.

    > > How do you do that?

    > First, a 10M changeset is bad. Only import revisions should be this big.

Mostly, yeah.   But they'll happen occaisionally for reasonable
reasons (e.g., update the GPL version number in the copyright notices
of a gazillion files;  replace `open', `read', `write' with `vu_open',
`vu_read', etc.)

    > Then, you cannot do that simply without breaking the golden rule "arch
    > needs no specific server-side software, just a file server with
    > scp/ftp/http".

Right on.

    > Is it actually something you have encountered in real-world use?

I have --- on CVS managed projects.   Every time so far I've solved
the need because the upstream has been running ViewCVS or something
comparable.    Arch has that capability too.