Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: in-tree pristines fatally wounded (merge-fest e

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: in-tree pristines fatally wounded (merge-fest etc)
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 20:02:26 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>

    > Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:
    > >     > BTW, maybe I should mention, in case some people aren't aware of
it,
    > >     > that `packing' means (among other things) `carrying a gun'.

    > > Oh, shucks -- my bad then.   Thought you had something else (that
    > > makes better sense, in my view) in mind.

    > Do tell...

    > [Remember kids -- less is more!]

Nah.  (Well, ok -- something about that nutcase-with-some-good-points
Alan G. Carter.)

I'm mostly just disappointed.  It would be one thing for Stephen, an
academic, to advocate some contrary position and then argue for it
coherently and with care -- and it is another thing entirely for him
to reply with incredible intellectual sloppiness, putting in so much
garbage presumptions about what he "knows" I think, sloppy
paraphrases, cliched right-wing reactionary-ism, non-responsive
diatriabes and just in general such an incredible load of crap into
his replies that there is simply no place at all to start sorting out
his errors.  My best guess is that that is, in fact, his self concious
rhetorical tactic in these threads.  His comments to you and me about
his pen-with-infinite-ink really disambiguates his intention to troll.

I had thought better of him than that.  This latest from him is the
stuff of which facism is made.  The form of such "arguments" as he has
taken to making play an interesting role in modern USian politics, I'm
sad to say (and somewhat frightened to have to say on this
internationally read mailing list).

But I shouldn't blame him really.   If I want to say something about
ethics or freedom, which I occaisionally do, while it would be
_convenient_ to be able to formulate that as replies to some thread
with him, it ultimately would be as rude for me to _expect_ that
opportunity of him as his replies have turned rude.