Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: in-tree pristines fatally wounded (merge-fest e

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: in-tree pristines fatally wounded (merge-fest etc)
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 14:25:41 +0900

    Tom> I was not aware that I am not a member of society.  I know of
    Tom> many people would disagree and say that I am, in fact, a
    Tom> member of society.

In a similar way, I am a member of the "free software community" in
the sense that I use (nearly exclusively, by choice, at substantial
cost) and develop free software, and many people agree with me in
that judgment.  However, because I don't believe in the fundamental and
inalienable nature of software freedom as you do, you exclude me from
that community, by the rhetoric you used in attacking Larry and Linus.

You have a problem with taking the medicine you prescribe, I gather.

    Tom> I was not aware that I wasn't doing work in society.  And
    Tom> again, I know of many who would disagree and say that I am,
    Tom> in fact, doing work.

Of course you are, in the sense of "nice work if you can get it."

Another way of expressing my opinion is to say I consider it unlikely
that the fact that you don't get paid for it is a market (or
government) failure.  (Cf. "happy accident" and the employment of
Linus and Uli at their respective hobbies.  Life is _so_ unfair!)

    > Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences
    > University of Tsukuba

    Tom> The mind boggles.

Why?  Just because you disagree with my opinions?  What do you think
"academic freedom" is all about?  How about "free speech"?  (That's
"free" as in "free software," not "free" as in "free beer", you know.)

I freely admit the fact that I get paid as much as I do for this is a
market failure---but not because of the particular opinions I espouse.

Its-risky-to-cross-pens-with-live-sophists-ly y'rs,