Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: in-tree pristines fatally wounded (merge-fest e

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: in-tree pristines fatally wounded (merge-fest etc)
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:20:50 -0800 (PST)

    > From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>

    > No.  It's not a caricature.  I say you have abdicated your
    > social responsibility by refusing to live and work in society,
    > as it is, for the improvement of that society.  You prefer to
    > stand outside of it and bitch,

This is an interesting use of "in[side] and outside [of society]."

I was not aware that I am not a member of society.  I know of many
people would disagree and say that I am, in fact, a member of society.

I was not aware that I wasn't doing work in society.  And again, I
know of many who would disagree and say that I am, in fact, doing
work.

    > The fact is that in modern democratic societies the crisis of
    > social responsibility is not among the powerful.[1] It's among
    > the _weak_, and especially the middle classes, who use their
    > weakness as an excuse for turning a blind eye to the excesses of
    > the powerful, which they could easily curb, simply by refusing
    > the bribes offered by the rich.  And among the "moral left", who
    > prefer to meaninglessly denounce the abuses of the powerful and
    > demand "social responsibility", while themselves turning a blind
    > eye to the hypocrisy of the majority.

That's "the fact", huh?

    > Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences
    > University of Tsukuba

The mind boggles.