[Gnu-arch-users] Re: File-tpye plug-in architecture for Arch?

From: michael josenhans
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File-tpye plug-in architecture for Arch?
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 15:11:17 +0100

Thomas Zander wrote:

In KOffice and on OpenOffice there have been on-and-off discussions on saving the file to a filesystem layer like 'cvs://'. This touches the same idea, and sidesteppes some problems your solution will face.

My idea would be to make tools like OO patchset-aware. The current way of change tracking does not work according my understanding very well.

This is not an OO-problem, but rather a revision mangement problems all office suites face that I know.

Since OOo will save some 5 different XML streams inside a zip file its quite easy to do revision management on XML only streams once you have a XMLDiff application in place. (which should be first priority)

It is actually my motiavtion. Even an OO-change tracking mode could be implemented starting the initial files. When changes are added, patches could be stored as patchsets by OO in the OO-zip file container invisible to the user, maybe in a different revision history directory.

This would enable revison tracking for the sake of loading speed and eventually branching for the sake of loading / saving speed.

When change tracking is disabled, all patchset could be merged immediately when saving.

The hard part is walking through the history at that point; which will probably be a OOo only GUI.

I think diff3 is only one representation for patches. Depending of the information content, other reprentation formats might be more appropriate. In OO-case one useful option would be a change tracking mode.

> Simply because they need to what the changes
mean on screen. That part will be done in the office suites and can be done with the current tla interface.

I would not like to merge a spreadsheet table with a diff tool, which does not know what a cell, a color or a formula is. Only geeks would like to that.

I don't think this will work the way you think; the logic is in the wrong place if you put it in a tla plugin. The logic should be inside OOo to match changes there, and to be able to resolve problems based on intelligence that only OOo can have.

Think about specific problems you have to solve in this program only to find out you don't have the data-structures to do it. Notice that a DTD can change and you have to chose based on the file being offered to you.

I agree here. But first we should understand patching of XML files and their limitations.

Example:

When you make a word in the OO-writer bold and another word underline. The OO-filer seens to create 2 new styles nodes with the attributes 'T1' and 'T2' in the file 'content.xml':

        style:text-underline="single"
        style:text-underline-color="font-color"/>

and addes the tags to the text:

<text:p text:style-name="Standard">This is a very very short text <text:span text:style-name="T1">written</text:span> with open
        <text:span text:style-name="T2">office</text:span>.
</text:p>

Using tags as enumerations like 'T1', 'T2', etc. Is very branch unfriendly. An arch like solution would likely be, if tags contain the branch name. Like: 'Branch_1:T1', 'Branch_1:T2' or 'Branch_2:T2'.

There is work going on on the XML streams formats which OOo (and probably other office suites) are going to use in the near future. Last time I participated in those discussions there were hooks in place to allow this kind of functionality specifically (in the file-format).

I think you should talk to them before you do anything.

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=office

Thanks for the link.

As a first goal I would see, making arch xml aware and eventually able to work with zipped directories.

Michael