[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Generic data/validation formats [Was Re: File-tpye

From: Tupshin Harper
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Generic data/validation formats [Was Re: File-tpye plug-in architecture for Arch?]
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:50:30 -0800

Charles Duffy wrote:

On Mon, 2003-12-22 at 20:27, Tupshin Harper wrote:
Certainly they are susceptible to criticism, and not making a turing complete validation mechanism is one of them. But at least recognize that (for better and for worse) they tried to take a "middle ground" approach. XSD got a huge amount of criticism for being too complex (compared to DTDs), and adoption of it has been slow, largely for that reason. They were justly leery of adding even more complexity.

This is drifting quite quickly off-topic, but I'm not sure that making a
data interchange format with a turing-complete validation language
necessarily involves so much complexity -- think LISP, which is
potentially quite handy for both halves of the problem.

I agree. That's why I said in the very next paragraph: "Of course a case can be made that a good language designer could have come up with a better, simpler, turing complete schema mechanism, but such is frequently the problem with design by committee."

-Tupshin