Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File-tpye plug-in architecture for Arch?

From: conrad
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File-tpye plug-in architecture for Arch?
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 16:31:05 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 10:33:12AM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:

> Pick your favorite generic XML-diff/patch tool and tell me under what
> conditions it is
>
> (a) guaranteed to produce an XML document valid under that DTD when
>     applying diffs between meta.xml versions A and B to a meta.xml
>     version C.
>
> (c) guaranteed to produce a meta.xml output which is not only valid
>     but useful

Are you aware that the standard diff/patch tools don't have these properties
wrt e. g. C-sourcecode? They just happen to work most of the time, which
seems to be enough to make them useful.

I think a general way to assign different types to files could be very
useful. Not only for XML but also for other types, like e. g. natural
language documents.

The special case of XML-diff/patch could be solved e. g. with an XSLT-based
mechanism for useful merges...

Bye,
        Peter
--
Peter Conrad      | "Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me to your .signature,
Friedensallee 152 |  pleeeeeeeeeze!"   - found in someone else's .signature

  email: address@hidden / WWW: http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~conrad