Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Feature suggestion: "tla inventory -0"

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Feature suggestion: "tla inventory -0"
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 08:27:45 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Jan Hudec <address@hidden>

    >>> ~ use 0 specially
    >>>
    >>>   losses: not terminal or editor friendly,
    >>>           can't handle 0 in fields

    > The separator is NUL byte. And since the kernel interface uses ASCIIZ
    > strings, there simply can't be NUL byte in filename. Since tla uses
    > ASCIIZ string all over the place too, there can't be NULL is other
    > fields either.

That's true of filesystems and tla internals but it's not true of all
data or all tools.

Let's suppose that we want to modify or replace sort, cut, join, uniq, grep,
awk, etc. to handle the extended field syntax of inventory and tla.
It would be better to remove arbitrary restrictions on field contents
than to replace one set of arbitrary restrictions with another.