Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Feature suggestion: "tla inventory -0"

From: Brian May
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Feature suggestion: "tla inventory -0"
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 10:51:01 +1100

On Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 12:27:17PM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:
> So far as I know, the choices basically come down to:
>
> ~ use 0 specially
>
>   losses: not terminal or editor friendly,
>           can't handle 0 in fields
>
>   wins: GNU xargs and GNU tar support it
>
> ~ use a quotation syntax (which also then has to include escapes)
>   to delimite fields with some kind of quote mark
>
>   losses: whitespace-based field separation fails,
>           tools need to translate fields for many operations
>
>   wins: pick the string syntax of your favorite scripting language
>         terminal/editor-friendly
>
> ~ use an escape syntax without delimiters to map all strings into
>   strings of graphical characters
>
>   losses: tools need to translate fields for many operations
>
>   wins: whitespace-based field separation works,
>         terminal/editor-friendly
>

> Of these, I think I'm mostly inclined towards the last one (but see
> below).

Initially we started of discussing a "tla inventory -0" option.

However, we seem to have changed to discussing "how should tla store the
filenames internally?". For this purpose, why not use an existing
syntax, eg. the one used to represent non-standard characters in URLs?

I think it should still be possible to have a -0 option for tla
regardless of how arch stores filenames, for instance in change-sets.
--
Brian May <address@hidden>