Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Feature suggestion: "tla inventory -0"

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Feature suggestion: "tla inventory -0"
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 12:43:32 +0100

Tom Lord wrote:

>     >> Let's suppose that we want to modify or replace sort, cut,
>     >> join, uniq, grep, awk, etc. to handle the extended field syntax
>     >> of inventory and tla.  It would be better to remove arbitrary
>     >> restrictions on field contents than to replace one set of
>     >> arbitrary restrictions with another.
>
>     > But is it going to happen?  I don't think so.  The \0 convention
>     > for file names is here to stay for the forseeable future.
>
> I think it is likely to happen.

Experience so far suggests it won't.

Despite 20 years of LISP as a GNU programming language, LISPish CLI
tools are still not considered part of the GNU system (maybe they are
officially, but I haven't seen anyone using them, and I'm not aware that
they are installed on any of the machines I operate).

Five years (or so) of Java and XML haven't had a similar effect, either.