Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Libraries and changesets

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Libraries and changesets
Date: 31 Dec 2003 10:37:09 -0500

On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 09:55, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 01:46, Aaron Bentley wrote:
>
> > Sure, you'd only have doubling the second time you got a revision.  But
> > a sustained growth rate of 20M per star-merge looks unappealing.

[snip]
> I smell a usage/configuration error here: revlibs are meant to be very
> efficient  - sharing via hardlinks all the common unaltered files.
[snip]
> It may be that you've added sparsely in the wrong order, leadinging to
> non shared copies.

Okay.  My problem was a corner case, then.  [Though it was star-merge
that did this wrong-order adding.]

> Oh, and as for <insert space optimisation for revlibs here> - don't
> bother. If you want space optimisation, pull directly from the archive,
> or a mirror thereof. revlibs are all about speed without insane space
> overheads.

For me, revlibs are all about getting pristines out of the source
directories.  Pulling directly from a mirror won't save space, because
it'll dump a pristine in my source tree.

I'm glad that revlibs are more efficient than they first appeared to be,
and I hear you that optomization ideas aren't really welcome, even if
they're 2 orders of magnitude.

Aaron
--
Aaron Bentley