Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Spaces in filenames ... will come soon!

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Spaces in filenames ... will come soon!
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:41:23 -0800

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 06:35:43PM -0500, Miles Bader wrote:

> I work for a big corporation (and use tla in my work :-), and while everybody
> except me and a few other freaks runs windows on their desktop, most of the
> `real work' uses software (chip layout tools, simulators, etc) that only runs
> on Solaris; almost everyone has N terminal windows permantly open on their
> desktop logged into a server.  Not running on windows is really not even a
> minor issue for a development tool like tla.
>
> This division between document-creation/`fluffy work' and `real work' is
> pretty widespread in real companies my experience.  The Solaris part seems to
> be increasingly played by linux- or BSD-based systems, but I'd think that
> Solaris compatibility is actually more important than windows compatibility
> (so Tom, merge my little Solaris patches!).

I work for a large company.  I use tla at work, but I'm probably alone.
Almost everybody has Windows machines on their desktops.  Although our
software is completely embedded, its development is almost entirely done
on the windows machines.  There is just now a group tasked with
modifying the build process to work on Linux (lots and lots of makefile
issues).  Their main argument is that is compiles about 6 times faster
on Linux.

As I understand it, the original Windows mandate came down from very
high up in the company.  The decision was made for business relationship
reasons, and not for technical.

All of our current revision tools run under windows, and it would be
very difficult for me to even suggest a tool that didn't work well on
that platform.

Dave