Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Making microbranches popular

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Making microbranches popular
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:38:36 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Mark Thomas <address@hidden>

    > You could require that branch names start with a letter, making:

    >   emacs--21.3             # a version with empty branch name

    > but

    >   emacs--21.3a            # an invalid version

    > and

    >   emacs--dev-21.3a        # now a valid branch with no version id

Sure.

    > > Is the inevitable resulting user confusion really worth it?

    > I think when you start munging names like this, user confusion is
    > inevitable :(

That's the #1 reason why I resist changes like this.   We have a
perfectly servicable namespace right now with a clear structure.
It's all downhill from here.   And, for what?  An imperfect support
for "arbitrary names"?

(The current namespace is slightly spoiled by the (historic)
permissability of empty branch names.  That was a mistake, early on.)