Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Making microbranches popular

From: Jeremy Shaw
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Making microbranches popular
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:37:09 -0800

[snip]
> That said, it would be very, very painful to change the ordering at this
> point. Most of the code would have to be heavily modified and this would
> cause (for the first time) incompatible archives to exist. The great
> majority of the tla could would need to be changed as well. Saying "this
> would mean tla 2.0" feels like an understatement to me.
>
> Even though I agree with you that the branch/version ordering is wrong,
> I think its just too painful to fix. :(

I always feel this story is important to remember:

<famous-anecdote>

  Stuart Feldman, the Bell Labs guy who invented "make", woke up one
morning a few weeks after he'd released it, and realized that the
syntax basically sucked - all those tabs and colons and weird
continuation rules. He started working on something better and was
shot down because someone said "Stuart, there are *dozens* of people
using this, it's too late to change it."

</famous-anecdote>

Jeremy Shaw.