Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: arch protocol, smart server,

From: Mirian Crzig Lennox
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: arch protocol, smart server,
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:53:06 -0500

address@hidden (Colin Walters) writes:

> I've been working on a "smart server" over the past few days.  There's a
> lot to talk about, so I'll try to break it up into cleanly separated
> parts.

Colin, I really like the direction you've taken here.  I think it
makes a lot of sense to focus on a well-specified, robust wire
protocol, and leave the backend filestore mechanism as a detail
outside of Arch's concern.  Where Arch truly shines (in my opinion) is
all in the front end: the intelligent and effortless interface it
provides to the user for managing multiple lines of development.  In
contrast, the back end (how repository files and metadata are
physically stored and retrieved) is adequate, not visionary.
Decoupling the two not only would allow more independent development
along those lines, but raises the possibility of interesting
compatibility layers and gateways (such as an archd which speaks
cvspserver protocol, my own pet project).

I hope you won't mind a couple of nitpicks, as it took a tiny bit of
sleuthing for me to get your sources:

> The tla implementation is here:
> address@hidden/tla--archd--1.2
>
> The archd server is here:
> address@hidden/tla--main--0

The latter should actually be: address@hidden/archd--main--0
And the location of address@hidden is http://arch.verbum.org/arch

You mention that your code is "ugly", but I found it readable enough,
and I don't even know Python. :)

cheers,
Mirian