Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: arch protocol, smart server, and tla implement

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: arch protocol, smart server, and tla implementation prototypes
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:05:10 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Aaron Bentley <address@hidden>

    > Tom Lord wrote:

    > >5.X DELTA Command

    > >    Arguments: archive, from-revision, to-revision
    > >    Specific Headers: Parts-limit, Parts
    > >    Payload: yes

    > If we're putting commands like DELTA in the protocol, a GET-AS-CACHEREV
    > command would be good too.

The archd protocol by in large draws directly from the
libarch/archive.h protocol which already has `revision_type'
(answering "is a cached revision available?") and `get_cached' (which
retrieves a cached rev if one is available).

If you're thinking about archd servers which can compute cachedrevs on
demand, I think that that winds up looking to clients as though every
revision is already cachereved.   build_revision heuristics will have
to (eventually) be per-archive tunable to cope with that.