[Gnu-arch-users] Re: RFC: arch protocol, smart server,

From: Stig Brautaset
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: RFC: arch protocol, smart server,
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 16:28:32 +0000

On Jan 30 2004, Mirian wrote:
> > I've been working on a "smart server" over the past few days.  There's a
> > lot to talk about, so I'll try to break it up into cleanly separated
> > parts.
>
> Colin, I really like the direction you've taken here.  I think it
> makes a lot of sense to focus on a well-specified, robust wire
> protocol, and leave the backend filestore mechanism as a detail
> outside of Arch's concern.  Where Arch truly shines (in my opinion) is
> all in the front end: the intelligent and effortless interface it
> provides to the user for managing multiple lines of development.

A smart server might have many virtues, but when I started using arch,
one of its killer features (to me) was that it _didn't_ require any
smart servers. This enabled me to put private backup mirrors anywhere I
had an ssh account, without having to pester the admin of the box to
install a server and set it up for me.

Stig

--
brautaset.org