Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Auto-registration

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Auto-registration
Date: 07 Feb 2004 13:30:19 -0500

On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 07:10, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 11:07, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> > Robert Collins wrote:
> > >
> > The idea that that "aba get
> > address@hidden/tlasrc--local--1.2" will always work
> > as long as there's a copy online somewhere is appealing to me.
>
> Whilst I don't want that magic functionality.... I've nothing against
> it. IMO it'd be better for
> aba auto-register foobar && tla get foobar
> or even
> tla get $(aba auto-register
> address@hidden/tlasrc--local--1.2)
> to stay working though...

aba auto-register foobar && tla get foobar doesn't work at present,
because auto-register doesn't ignore package names, and in your example,
I assume foobar is a fully-qualified package/revision-name.

Not hard to change though. :-)

> as that way the rhs in the first example, or the lhs for the second
> example can be switched for tla grab, config-manager build etc etc etc.
>
> Note that asuffield wrote a similar archive location script.

These commands use Gergely Nagy's script.  I wasn't aware of
asuffield's.

> > >Urk. Both configs and grab files are orthogonal to the management of
> > >source in an archive.
> > >
> > In other words, actually locating and registering the archive is
> > orthagonal to retrieving source from it?  I suppose so.
>
> Thats not quite what I was saying, although it definately true. What I
> was saying is that grab (translate a url to a fqdp) and config (list a
> series of partially qualified dev paths + disk relative paths) files are
> not related at all to the manner in which a dev path is translated to a
> physical location.

You lost me.

Aaron