Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Commit Failure

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Commit Failure
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:56:11 -0500

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 23:25, John F Meinel Jr wrote:
> Actually, there was no ++revision-lock/+contents because I had earlier
> deleted a patch I didn't mean to apply.
> By adding those directories, the commit worked.
> Is there a way to delete a patch you didn't mean to commit _properly_. I
> have finally forsworn ever going into the archive directory structure,
> so it would be nice if I accidentally do a commit, that there is a way
> to get rid of it.

This is actually where arch's distributed nature and the simplicity of
the archive format come in very handy.  I have definitely made commits
that are really bad, like adding a bunch of object files or something.
But if you work locally and mirror elsewhere, then you can simply rm -rf
the revision, and remove the patch log from your working tree.  No one
else could have seen the revision, because it was just stored on your
machine, and never went out on the 'net.

Now that I have a cron job to mirror my archives automatically when I'm
internet connected, it's a little dicier, but I know when it runs (every
30m), so I usually have time disable the cron job temporarily to fix
things, then reenable.

While arch will likely never officially "support" truly deleting
revisions, at the same time I don't think the archive format or anything
will change in a way that would make this harder to hack when you really
need it.