Re: [Gnu-arch-users] =partner-versions

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] =partner-versions
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 22:12:25 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 12:16:30PM -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
>> Mattieu Moy (one of the xtla authors) and I have been discussing a
>> common standard for describing partner-versions; related trees that are
>> suitable for merging with.  Here's what we've come up with:
>>
>> {arch}/=partner-versions is a file that contains one or more
>> partner-versions.  It contains one or more fully-qualified version
>> names, separated by newlines.  This listing may contain the tree-version.
>
> What exactly is the usage of this?

Well, Aaron  described the  use of  this file for  Aba, I  can briefly
explain our plans for xtla (Emacs interface).

We (already) have a bookmark feature that allows you to

1) Keep track of the "location" (archive, category, branch or version)
you often use.

2) Keep some information about them.

All this is stored in  a ~/.xtla-bookmarks.el file, and can be editted
more or less manually from Emacs.

One of  the informations stored in  2) is a list  of partner versions,
i.e. a list of versions from which you merge regularly.

Once you have all  this, you can run a command (the  key 'M' for those
interested) that will give you a list of missing patches from all your
partners. It may look like this:

*** Bookmark Xtla (address@hidden/xtla--main--0.1): ***

Missing patches for partner Xtla:

Missing patches for partner xtla-mst:
    address@hidden/xtla--main--0.1--patch-41
      Merged from Matthieu (patch192-198), Robert (patch61-74), Stefan
(patch54-55)
      Mark Triggs <address@hidden>
      2004-05-29 01:09:30 GMT
    address@hidden/xtla--main--0.1--patch-42
      (empty) Previous patch also contains a tiny fix to tla-edit-log.
      Mark Triggs <address@hidden>
      2004-05-29 01:12:56 GMT

[ ... ]

Missing patches for partner xtla-robert:
    address@hidden/xtla--main--0.1--patch-75
      Merged from Matthieu (patch197-198), Stefan (patch54-55)
      Robert Widhopf <address@hidden>
      2004-05-28 21:59:40 GMT
    address@hidden/xtla--main--0.1--patch-76
      Reverted some of Matthieu (patch-198) autoload fixes.
      Robert Widhopf <address@hidden>
      2004-05-28 22:35:34 GMT

Missing patches for partner xtla-martin:

Missing patches for partner xtla-milan:

Missing patches for partner xtla-masatake:

[...]

end.

>From this list, typing 'S' on a revision name will call tla star-merge
for this revision.

We're  using  this  extensively  for  xtla  development,  which  is  a
completely  distributed  development  (no  master archive,  we're  all
merging from each other regularly). It works well.

We just miss  a feature : When  someone new comes to xtla  team, he or
she  has to  enter the  list of  partners in  his  bookmarks manually.
Currently, the  list of archives  is provided in the  documentation of
xtla, but that's  not really satisfying. I'd like  to provide the user
something like

M-x tla-get-partners-from-tree RET

That  would read  the {arch}/=partner-versions  file and  fill  in the
"partners" field of the bookmark.

I'd also like people not using xtla to benefit from this file, so, I'd
like to follow  a convention used by many if  not all other front-ends
providing a similar  feature. The current one, used only  by Aba up to
now, seems good to me.

--
Matthieu