Re: [Gnu-arch-users] =partner-versions

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] =partner-versions
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 16:54:15 -0400

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 04:42:02PM -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> >I very commonly merge from multiple `partner versions'
> >in one go, and commit the whole mess as a single changeset.
>
> "Whole mess" strikes me as a very apt description. :-)  I really don't
> like the idea of committing multiple merges in one go.

It depends on the case of course -- often you're right, of coruse, but I do
this for my `personal integration' branch where I care more about
convenience than anything else.

> >For me, maybe a more useful formulation would be something like:
> >
> >   while partners remain; do
> >     if the tree has any conflicts (.rej files), stop!
> >     merge from the next partner
> >   done
>
> This part I would not support as default behavior.

That's probably reasonable.

For tla-partner, I thinking of something like this:

  -C, --until-conflict    Stop when a tree conflict is detected
  -c, --until-change      Stop when a the tree is a modified state
  -f, --until-failure     Stop when a command returns a non-zero exit status

Then for my `mess merging' I could just do:

   tla-partner --until-conflict star-merge -t

But people that want to be more careful would use `--until-change'.

For other commands like `missing' of course, you never want it to stop.

-Miles
--
My spirit felt washed.  With blood.  [Eli Shin, on "The Passion of the Christ"]