Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Preliminary Arch Cache available

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Preliminary Arch Cache available
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:35:27 -0400

James Blackwell wrote:

DUDE! This sounds neat! Anything holding it up for 1.2.3?

Well, there are a few things it should be caching that it isn't yet. Dunno when 1.2.3 will be, so it might be ready in time.

Instead of reregistering archives with cache:, what if we just do this
for all archive if =arch-cache exists, and then for each archive that
has a location that doesn't start with path_sep? After all, archives are
generally small, and disk space is *much* cheaper than bandwidth.

I wouldn't oppose that, if people wanted it. Or we could have a =default-cached configuration option, or something.

I can only imagine how powerful this will be once it has support for
disconnected ops, perhaps chattering a "Warning: Original Archive not
available; working from cached data"

Definitely with a warning.  Maybe a config option, not sure.

Side question: How does this interrelate with [ar]browse and other similiar tools that walk archives?

I dunno if it's useful to them. Even if you could get a list of categories from the cache, you'd still want to query the real archive to make sure nothing had been added, so no point querying the cache.

Aaron