Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] tla dosen't handle '--' as end of option

From: Adrian Irving-Beer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] tla dosen't handle '--' as end of option argument
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:51:36 -0400

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 03:35:53PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> The only place where a POSIX `--' could be needed on a tla command
> line is before a list of file names, and when used at that spot, it
> behaves just the same as the tla `--'.  I.e. no conflict AFAImC.

Now I'm confused.

In POSIX, the '--' would indicate merely that things following
the '--' are the same as things before it, but they're not to be
option-parsed.

In 'tla commit', the '--' separates the non-option parameters before
the '--' (a version to commit to, which I've never fully understood
the use for) and the non-option parameters after the '--' (files).

I'm of the view that the stuff before the (current) '--' (version)
could easily be made into a '-r' switch or similar (and would even
become more 'CVS compatible' by doing so).

But as far as I can tell, tla '--' and POSIX '--' are two very
different things, at least in the context of commit.

Am I missing something here?

p.s.  Also, can anyone tell me useful scenarios with 'commit
      <version>'? I think I actually used it once experimentally,
      right after tagging off an old branch when I wanted to commit
      one last thing to it.