Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] tla dosen't handle '--' as end of option

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] tla dosen't handle '--' as end of option argument
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 17:08:18 -0400

> But that's my point.  This is a hypothetical 'posix-tla', not 'tla'.

But nobody wants that because it breaks compatibility.

> POSIX '--' is only required if you need to specify non-option
> arguments that start with a '-'.

I don't care about when it's not needed.  I only care about when it's
needed.  AFAIK people have started talking about this POSIX -- because they
wanted to add a -- in cases where it was needed (the original examples were
`tla add -- file' and `tla file-diff -- file').

If -- is not needed, then we don't need POSIX --, right?

> By leaving out '--' in my example, I'm pointing out that by following
> the POSIX spec, I can produce something incompatible with the tla spec.

I don't want to follow the POSIX spec.  I just think it would be good for
people to be able to use a POSIX-style -- when needed, and I'm saying that
this can be added without conflicting with current uses of --.

> As far as I can tell, they seem to be mutually contradictory specs.

The specs, yes.  The uses, no.

        Stefan