Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] tla dosen't handle '--' as end of option

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] tla dosen't handle '--' as end of option argument
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 17:30:04 -0400

Stefan Monnier
> I don't care about when it's not needed.  I only care about when it's
> needed.  AFAIK people have started talking about this POSIX -- because they
> wanted to add a -- in cases where it was needed (the original examples were
> `tla add -- file' and `tla file-diff -- file').

Lets look at it from a more pragmatic standpoint.

 1. How many files do you have, and among those, how many start
    with a dash?  Out of 689,691 files on my filesystem, exactly 0
    start with a dash.

 2. How many complaints have there been from anybody that they wanted
    to add a file starting with a dash? I've seen zero "why can't I
    do this" complaints.

 3. How much time has been spent on this thread, that could have been
    invested on problems that actually measurably affect users?