[Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] tla dosen't handle '--' as end of option argu

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] tla dosen't handle '--' as end of option argument
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:58:14 -0400

>> The only place where a POSIX `--' could be needed on a tla command
>> line is before a list of file names, and when used at that spot, it
>> behaves just the same as the tla `--'.  I.e. no conflict AFAImC.

> Now I'm confused.

Right, it's because you're thinking in terms of theoretical semantics,
rather than in concrete practical terms.  The two semantics are not
compatible in general, but in practice with the current tla command line
syntax, I argue that they are compatible because all the theoretical
conflicts arise in non-useful cases.

> In POSIX, the '--' would indicate merely that things following
> the '--' are the same as things before it, but they're not to be
> option-parsed.

> In 'tla commit', the '--' separates the non-option parameters before
> the '--' (a version to commit to, which I've never fully understood
> the use for) and the non-option parameters after the '--' (files).

Give me a *useful* *concrete* case where there's a difference in practice.

        Stefan